Your iPhone’s Auto Lock feature is designed to conserve battery life by automatically locking your device after a period of inactivity.
While this feature can be incredibly useful, there may be times when you want to adjust the Auto-Lock timer to better suit your needs.
Whether you want to extend the time before your iPhone locks or shorten it to conserve battery, we’ve got you covered.
In this context, we’ll walk you through the simple steps to change the Auto-Lock settings on your iPhone.
How To Change Auto Lock On iPhone
- Step 1: Open the Settings app
To get started, unlock your iPhone and locate the Settings app on your home screen.
It’s represented by a gear icon and is usually found on the first page or in a folder named “Utilities.”
- Step 2: Tap Display & Brightness
Within the Settings app, scroll down and tap on “Display & Brightness.”
This section allows you to customize various aspects of your iPhone’s display settings, including Auto-Lock.
- Step 3: Select Auto-Lock
In the Display & Brightness menu, you’ll find an option labeled “Auto-Lock.”
Tap on it to proceed.
- Step 4: Set the timer to the desired time
Once you’re in the Auto-Lock menu, you’ll see a list of time intervals ranging from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
Select the time duration that suits your preference by tapping on it.
If you want your iPhone to stay awake and unlocked until you manually lock it, choose “Never.”
However, keep in mind that this setting may significantly impact your device’s battery life.
If you find that the Auto-Lock options are grayed out and you can’t make any changes, there’s no need to panic.
This issue can often be resolved easily. Here’s what you can do:
- Check for restrictions: Go back to the Settings app and tap on “Screen Time” or “General” > “Restrictions” to see if any restrictions are enabled that might prevent you from modifying Auto-Lock.
If restrictions are enabled, you’ll need to enter the correct passcode to make changes.
And if an update is available, make sure you download and install it.
By following these troubleshooting steps, you should be able to resolve any issues preventing you from changing the Auto-Lock settings on your iPhone.
Why can’t I change auto look on my iPhone
If you’re unable to change the auto-lock settings on your iPhone, there are a few possible reasons:
Check if you have enabled any restrictions or parental controls on your device. Restrictions can limit certain settings, including auto-lock options. To adjust the restrictions, go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Software version:
Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Apple periodically releases updates that address various issues and bugs, including any related to auto-lock settings. To check for new updates just go to your phone Settings > General > Software Update.
- Battery settings:
If your device’s battery level is critically low, some iPhone models may automatically enable the “Low Power Mode,” which overrides the auto-lock settings. Connect your iPhone to a power source and check if the auto-lock settings become editable.
Also Read: How to delete apps on iPhone that are hidden
How do I keep my iPhone unlocked?
If you want to keep your iPhone unlocked for an extended period of time without it automatically locking, you can use the Guided Access feature. Guided Access allows you to lock your iPhone to a specific app and disable auto-lock. Here’s how you can use Guided Access:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Accessibility.”
- In the Accessibility settings, select “Guided Access” under the Learning section.
- Toggle the switch to enable Guided Access.
- To set up a passcode for Guided Access, tap on “Passcode Settings” and follow the prompts to create a passcode.
This passcode will be used to exit Guided Access.
- Open the app you want to keep your iPhone unlocked in.
- Triple-click the side button (on iPhone models with Face ID) or the Home button (on iPhone models with Touch ID) to activate Guided Access.
- In the Guided Access interface, tap on “Options” in the bottom left corner.
- Disable the toggle next to “Time Limit” to prevent auto-lock.
- Tap on “Start” in the top-right corner to begin Guided Access and keep your iPhone unlocked in the selected app.
Customizing the Auto-Lock feature on your iPhone is a simple and effective way to manage your device’s battery life and security.
By adjusting the timer to your liking, you can strike a balance between keeping your iPhone accessible when you need it and conserving battery power when it’s not in use.
Remember, if you encounter any issues with grayed-out options, try restarting your iPhone, checking for restrictions, or updating your iOS.
With these steps, you’ll be able to change the Auto-Lock settings on your iPhone in no time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t change auto lock on iphone
If you’re unable to change the auto-lock settings on your iPhone 11, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check the settings: Go to “Settings,” navigate to “Display & Brightness” or “Display & Touch,” and ensure you’re trying to change the auto-lock settings from there.
- Restart your iPhone: Press and hold the power button, slide to power off, then hold the power button again to turn it back on.
- Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone has the latest iOS version by going to “Settings,” selecting “General,” and choosing “Software Update.”
- Reset all settings: If the issue persists, reset all settings by going to “Settings,” selecting “General,” and choosing “Reset” followed by “Reset All Settings.” This won’t erase your data but resets all settings to defaults.
- Contact Apple Support: If the problem persists, reach out to Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance.
How do i change auto lock time on iphone
To change the auto-lock time on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Display & Brightness” or “Display & Touch” (depending on your iOS version).
- Find “Auto-Lock”
- You’ll see a list of time intervals, such as 30 Seconds, 1 Minute, 2 Minutes, etc. Tap on the desired time interval you want for your auto-lock setting.
- Once you’ve selected the desired time interval, exit the settings. Your iPhone will now automatically lock after the selected time of inactivity.
How to change auto lock on iphone when it’s restricted
If you are unable to change the auto-lock settings on your iPhone due to restrictions, you will need to access the “Screen Time” settings to make the necessary changes. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Screen Time.”
- Turn On Screen Time and follow the instructions (If you haven’t set up Screen Time before). If you have already set up Screen Time, proceed to the next step.
- Tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- If you have enabled Content & Privacy Restrictions, you will need to enter your Screen Time passcode. If you haven’t set up a passcode, you will be prompted to create one.
- Scroll down and tap on “Allowed Apps.”
- On the next screen, find and tap on “System Services.”
- Look for “Auto-Lock” in the list of system services and tap on it.
- You will be presented with various time intervals to choose from. Select the desired auto-lock time interval.
- Exit the settings, and the new auto-lock time setting should be in effect.